Saturday, May 15, 2010

Taking it to the Streets, Specifically Nostalgia Ave

In pursuit of my goal to run a 5k, I knew I had to start running outside again. The weather has been beautiful here, so I went down to my grandparents' house (which I care for while they're at house #2), calculated a route via a map, and went for it.

Well, the turn I had planned on was in the middle of a hill, and I wanted to finish the hill. And got lost. So, in addition to being massacred by hills today, I also added an extra mile to my route. My body's holding up surprisingly well. Ha, we'll see if I say that tomorrow.

My friends are all graduating this weekend, and I've been creeping on their photos of senior week via facebook. I've never regretted transferring. Academically, it's been a dream come true for me. But I sacrificed a wonderful social life to do so. And as I watch my friends say goodbye, I really realize what I gave up. I shared a journey with these people for so long, so it's weird not finishing it with them.

So I'm drowning my sorrows in Anime.

It's been ages since I turned on some real, Japanese Anime. But...the discovery that one of the shows that once got me into anime is online has resulted in an absolute time drain. It's also trippy to hear Japanese again. Funny, because I still remember most grammar principles, but have lost vocabulary. So I get negation, "let's ______", politeness, etc, but nothing else. It's also trippy to watch from a Chinese perspective. I can now HEAR the borrowed words in a way I never put together before.

It makes me want to study Japanese again. Maybe AFTER I complete the class that my instructor says "is not advised for people with jobs, a full class load, or any other significant time commitments". Bite me, Chinese 411. 给我咬法。

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terasita,

    I'm in training to run my 1st 5K as well on June 6th. It has been grueling at times, but I'm really amazed at how far I've come, since I was a deathly asthmatic child who couldn't run 5 seconds without having to go to the ER!

    Do you have a 5K scheduled? If not, you can find many in your area. I have also been enjoying the forums on the Runner's World website and the website itself is a goldmine of information.

    http://www.rrca.org/

    Happy Running!

    Shannon from Sweeping

    ReplyDelete