Friday, April 2, 2010

The Trouble with Detox

My first detox was fairly painless. I struggled with low blood sugar, but I really didn't have any other problems. However, for the combined 3 weeks of my birthday (TRY having a vegan b-day dinner with my meat-loving family), finals week, and a trip to visit my friends in L.A. (I'm a vegan, not a jerk, when people are providing my room and board, I don't turn up my noise at the food they provide). But once I came home, I cut everything out and returned to my vegan ways.

Kinda.

The first 3 days of detox, I had a migraine. For 3 days. All. Three. Days. Finally, I had to break and do a gradual detox. For the first couple days, I had dairy and meat at one meal. Then I moved to traces of dairy and traces of meat. Now, I'm back to veganism. And it was smooth. No low blood sugar. No headaches. No low energy.

I know a lot of vegans advocate for a sudden, complete detox, but personally, I much preferred my second detox to my first. Really, I think it should be up to the person. Gradual is probably smoother and easier, but if you don't have the will power to really go through with it, sudden detox might be for you.

As for life, it's going quite well...for me. I'm exercising, feeling great. Planning a nice hike tomorrow with friends. But my boyfriend, Space Cat, just lost his job. Naturally, he's bummed. And...I'm less sympathetic than I should be. We both work low-pay, service industry jobs. However, while I'll keep this job until I graduate college, he's....got no plans to leave. And he's OLDER than me!

While it's very noble to not care about finances, I DO care. Because I CARE about being comfortable. I want children. And I CARE about what I want to be financially able to expose them to. I have a lot of ambition, and I wish he had the same. I also have a lot of standards.

As they say, failure to plan is planning to fail. And he...doesn't really have any plans. Or a degree. So do we have a future?

Maybe you can tell, I refer to people by their nicknames here.

Blessed Good Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment